The addition of ionic silver provides the ability to kill a broad spectrum of wound-related microbes in the dressing through:
- Rapid and effective antimicrobial action*1, 4-5
- Controlled release of ionic silver as wound exudate is absorbed into the dressing*1, 4-5
- Sustained antimicrobial activity for up to 14 days*1, 4-5
Resources: Demonstration videos of AQUACEL® Foam in action
Mode of Action
AQUACEL® Foam Retention
*As demonstrated in vitro
- Jones SA, Bowler PG, Walker M, Parsons D. Controlling wound bioburden with a novel silver-containing Hydrofiber dressing. Wound Repair Regen. 2004;12(3):288-294.
- AQUACEL® foam Dressing – waterproofness, bacterial and viral barrier testing. WHRI3538 MS069. Data on File, ConvaTec Inc.
- Repeat Insult Patch Test CW‐0206‐11‐A730. Data on File, ConvaTec Inc
- Bowler PG, Jones SA, Walker M, Parsons D. Microbicidal properties of a silver-containing Hydrofiber dressing against a variety of burn wound pathogens. J Burn Care Rehabil.2004;25(2):192-196.
- Bowler PG, Welsby S, Towers V, Booth R, Hogarth A, Rowlands V, Joseph A, Jones SA. Multidrug-resistant organisms, wounds and topical antimicrobial protection. Int Wound J 2012; 9:387–396.